View topic - OBITUARY – DARKEST DAY

Reply to topic
OBITUARY – DARKEST DAY

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » OBITUARY – DARKEST DAY
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: OBITUARY – DARKEST DAY Reply with quote

OBITUARY – DARKEST DAY

(Candlelight Records)

As amazing as this sounds, but it’s 20-years since Obituary first unleashed Slowly We Rot onto an unsuspecting world. Back in the day, people *freaked* over how heavy this album was (recorded on an 8-track tape machine for a reported $500.00) and how utterly monstrous John Tardy’s vocals were; no one had heard anything like this guy’s screams before. Added to the fact that he was just roaring and not using lyrics well, people just couldn’t get over it. This was Death Metal, this was the 'Heaviest band in the World' and the sensation it caused was truly justified.
As the 1990’s fly by the band weathered the storm of trends and underground fads, recording the (some would say - not me, though) superior Cause of Death and even splitting at one stage. Now, 20-years on they’ve released their 8th studio album in the shape of Darkest Day, number two for Candlelight records and second album to feature guitar-maestro Ralph Santolla.

Obituary 2009 is not the gut-‘em-and-watch-their-guts-spill band of old. In fact, one could argue that they are two different bands, though their sound remains constant. Now more polished, more tight, the rhythm section has got to be one of the more solidified in metal today. Tracks such as Field of Pain and Lost Inside boast such incredibly catchy yet tumultuous riffs chugging over a barrage of tribal-esque drumming; only Bolt Thrower rival this kind of genius. Tardy’s vocals are still fucking brutal, yet 20-years on, as the scene grew and mutated there are certainly more extreme vocalists out there. Nevertheless, his guttural growls are just as memorable and recognizable in an ocean of extreme music shouters screaming to be heard over the deafening din.

Nay-sayers will forever complain that every Obituary album sounds like the previous one, which is a valid point - but if it ain't broke, why fix it? Obituary fall into the category of either loving this band or not; I have yet to meet a metal fan who thinks they’re ‘just ok’. Personally, I think they could rid themselves of the redneck image and song-titles appearing on their latter albums, but after 20-years I guess you sing what you know.

'Heaviest band in the World'? These days, perhaps not. But I love this band and always will.

Bacteria13.

http://www.myspace.com/obituary

Last edited by Bacteria13 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent review Ken.. gotta run and check out Darkest Day
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » OBITUARY – DARKEST DAY

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: