View topic - Exodus - Let there be Blood (2008)

Reply to topic
Exodus - Let there be Blood (2008)

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Exodus - Let there be Blood (2008)
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Exodus - Let there be Blood (2008) Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings after listening to Exodus newly recorded version of their classic album "Bonded by Blood" retitled "Let there be blood".

For those who are not familiar with "Bonded by Blood," i can truly state in a nutshell, (as a fellow Amazon reviewer put it), that it is one of the "five most important metal albums of all time, you choose the other four"

Bonded by Blood is Exodus' masterpiece, an album few metal bands will ever be able to top or emulate, and although the album was recorded over 20 years ago, long before digital technology and ProTools, it has stood the test of time, sounding as heavy and powerful as the day it was released.

Let there be blood is basically a faithful rendition of the original Bonded by Blood with slightly better production, with Rob Dukes replacing Exodus' classic vocalist Paul Baloff (who passed away in 2002). The songs are great, the guitars are heavy.. the problem is that having grown up listening to Bonded by Blood, it is hard to listen to the new album without wanting to take out a copy of the original and cranking it up to 11.
For the me the main difference is the vocals, as nobody can quite duplicate Paul's unique vocal style, with all its imperfections.

If you are an old Exodus fan, Let there be blood is a good addition to your metal collection, a chance to hear what the band sounds like right now playing the classic songs.
If you are a new Exodus fan, and you have never heard Bonded by Blood, i recommend you purchase a copy RIGHT NOW, and after you listen to it for a while, you purchase Let there be Blood..
Chances are you may actually like the newer album better.

Just like with everything else, it is a matter of taste

Last edited by yuri on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuri has hit the nail on the head with this review - why are these bands going back to re-record their classic material? Destruction, Sodom and now Exodus; who's next, Kreator re-recording Endless Pain or Pleasure to Kill? Schmier from Destruction told me (yeah, what a name-dropper I am) that today's kids hate the 'poor production of the 80's albums'. Bullshit. That's what makes them classic records, man, and is why you're still around.

In memory of Paul Baloff - I don't see it. His legacy was this record, and any thrash metal fan, be they old or new school knows this album. This is one Exodus CD I won't be buying ...
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacteria13 wrote:
Yuri has hit the nail on the head with this review - why are these bands going back to re-record their classic material? Destruction, Sodom and now Exodus; who's next, Kreator re-recording Endless Pain or Pleasure to Kill? Schmier from Destruction told me (yeah, what a name-dropper I am) that today's kids hate the 'poor production of the 80's albums'. Bullshit. That's what makes them classic records, man, and is why you're still around.

In memory of Paul Baloff - I don't see it. His legacy was this record, and any thrash metal fan, be they old or new school knows this album. This is one Exodus CD I won't be buying ...

Very interesting commentary, Mr. Bacteria..
Funny how everything moves in trend waves..

Before the current trend slick production used by today's metalcore bands, the production fashion du jour was to record things in one take with a raw sounding production, a technique taken from the punk / hardcore era to grunge and championed by Steve Albini when he produced' Nirvana's nevermind...

This musical and production movement came as a counter-reaction to hair metal's glossy production and overproduced music.

It is just sad to see old time metal bands bowing to current production trends just for the sake of selling records..

then again.. this is a business after all..
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Exodus - Let there be Blood (2008)

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: