View topic - Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine

Reply to topic
Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine Reply with quote

Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine (2005)

The 2005 chapter in the never-ending Exodus saga finds the band without singer "Zetro" Souza, drummer Tom Hunting and long time guitarist Rick Hunolt. That is 60% of the band that recorded Tempo of the Damned and toured on 2004.
I own a couple of audio bootlegs of the band playing European festivals on 2004 and to say they kicked ass is an understatement..

So, I was kind of apprehensive about this album, not because of Zetro leaving but because the only remaining Exodus member is Gary Holt... and then there was one..

It is no secret i've never been a Zetro fan. I believe if the band had picked a different singer after Paul Baloff left the band, their fate would have been different, so the burning question here is: is new singer Rob Dukes a hope for all those who couldn't stand Zetro's singing?

Well, Maybe.
In the album opener Raze Mr. Dukes sounds like a genetically engineered version of Zetro and Baloff singing..
Things get a little more interesting in the following song, the awesome 8+ minute long Deathamphetamine.
In some parts of the next tune Karma's Messenger you can hear Mr. Dukes real voice coming out, and it (thankfully) doesn't sound like Bon Scott. In Now Thy Death Day Come Dukes does his best Tom Araya.. a welcome change in singing styles.

Does Shovel Headed Kill Machine sound like the old Exodus?
Not exactly.. to me it sounds like an improved version, with a better singer and with Paul Bostaph's amazing drumming (Dave Lombardo's replacement in Slayer) how can anything go wrong?

Regardless of whether this album sounds like vintage Exodus (which it mostly does) or not. SHKM is a truly awesome, pounding and intense thrash record, that gets better each time you listen to it..

It may not be as good as Bonded by Blood, but then again, very few albums can top Exodus' crushing debut..

Worth checking out!

Last edited by yuri on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to this album back-to-back against Exodus' Tempo of The Damned i can truly say that Shovel-headed Kill Machine is a metal masterpiece!
This album in my book is one of the best releases of 2005!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Zetro int the band, no good. This album is not as good as previous one IMO. Going Going Gone is a good song and probably only one we can compare with old Exodus. Karma 's Messenger is fine and a bit classic too. The rest is just a collection of riffs and vocals.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: