View topic - GRAVE – BURIAL GROUND

Reply to topic
GRAVE – BURIAL GROUND

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » GRAVE – BURIAL GROUND
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: GRAVE – BURIAL GROUND Reply with quote

GRAVE – BURIAL GROUND

(Regain Records)

The metal world is churning out more and more technical brutal death metal and technical deathcore bands like there’s no tomorrow. Regarding that, my Chris Reifert signature says it all, so I won’t elaborate on this what-the-fuck-are-you-playing-wankery, except to say thank fuck for Ola Lindgren, Grave and old-school death metal.

Releasing a studio album every two years since their come-back record Back From the Grave in 2002, Grave have been consistent if anything, churning out old school death with ghoulish glee. Burial Ground is heavy; heavy with a capital H, bludgeoning the listener to death with enormous, Dino Cazares-size riffs. Lindgren’s vocals are tomb-stank ghastly, while the rhythm section of drummer Ronnie Bergerståhl and bassist Fredrik Isaksson pounds along like a charging rhino, flipping those unfortunate to stand in their way aside like crumpled paper. Semblance in Black, Conqueror, Bloodtrail (featuring a killer solo from Karl ‘Nile’ Sanders) and the doomy title track stomps and grinds with messy, maximum damage. There’s even a re-recording of the old demo chestnut Sexual Mutilation from 1989 here, too.

Deliberating going for an old school demo feel the album artwork boasts some amazing, burnt umber/muted yellow illustrations ala HP Lovecraft. Their new t-shirt is pretty cool, too.

Granted, Grave and this form of death metal aren’t for everyone. But I find it reassuring to know that as trends come and go, as they transform and mutate to something that resembles death metal but certainly isn’t that there are bands such as Grave flying the flag for the true old school.

Bacteria13.

http://www.myspace.com/gravespace
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » GRAVE – BURIAL GROUND

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: