View topic - MANTIC RITUAL - EXECUTIONER

Reply to topic
MANTIC RITUAL - EXECUTIONER

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » MANTIC RITUAL - EXECUTIONER
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: MANTIC RITUAL - EXECUTIONER Reply with quote

MANTIC RITUAL – EXECUTIONER

(Nuclear Blast)

Those who have been reading (suffering) my album reviews for these past few years know that at one stage I was once a die-hard thrasher who, as a lot of us have done moved on to death & black metal. In 1986 I was 17-years old with long, curly hair and a patched denim jacket. Now, in 2009, I am 40, and no longer have long, curly hair. I have seen trends come and go, seen Metallica inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame whilst Motorhead and Rush have not, and have seen the zombie-like resurrection of thrash metal.

I still support (though gripe incessantly about) bands that I grew up with who are still hitting the boards today. As much as I love a still under-appreciated Exodus I can’t figure why Sodom record one great album and then a not-so great one the next. I am bemused why Destruction are not the awesome band they once were, and am surprised, after repeated listens at how good an album Slayer’s 'Christ Illusion' really is. I still shake my head at Kreator and Mille’s banshee-like wailing, whilst looking forward to a rejuvenated Sacrifice and wondering will their next record, ‘The Ones I Condemn’ live up to the classic ‘Forward to Termination’. And let’s no forget our own Voivod, who have seen their fair share of high’s and low’s yet still remain underground and all the good and bad that comes with it …

Yet both Yuri and God know that, as much as I want to I just can’t take to this so-called new-thrash. I love the idea that kids are getting into the same music as I was when I was a spotty 16-year old, that in 2009 some kid is discovering Gama Bomb or Evile when mainstream metal is saying they should be listening to pap such as the hippest emo-core band. But musically, I’ve been there and done that, and though giving a thumbs-up to Bonded By Blood and Guillotine I’d rather listen to Behemoth or Krisiun, thank you.

And then, out of nowhere, an album comes along and changes my *whole* perspective on new-thrash, and I’m left speechless like the first time I heard ‘Kill ‘em All’, ‘Show No Mercy’ or ‘Pleasure to Kill’. As perverse as this sounds, but I was that curly-headed kid sitting between classes listening to Helloween's 'Starlight' the first time I heard 'Panic', and this was 2-weeks ago lounging around in my kitchen, wearing sweat-pants & sipping tea when I clicked on their MySpace page (modern technology - brings the best out of us all ...)

To best describe this album … think the aforementioned ‘Kill ‘em All’ produced by Harris Johns; that simple. In actuality, ‘Executioner’ was produced by Andy Classen, who has gifted this record with a genuine 1986 nostalgic feel, as if it were recorded in Berlin’s famed Music Lab studio. No modern clicks or that super-produced clinical sound which has cursed modern metal - this would not be the same record if Andy Sneap got his hands on it - this album sounds misplaced, as if someone was trawling though Noise or SPV’s archives and found this unreleased gem. 'Panic' sounds and feels like an unreleased track from Metallica's influential debut, in fact, each song has more time changes than the last three Satyricon albums - 'Murdered to Death' - and boasts as many air-guitar pleasing solos as you could shake a studded armband fist at. Check out the solo-duelling ‘Praise of Death’-esque ‘Double the Blood’ for jaw-dropping example – this shit just ain’t done no more (are you listening, Jeff & Kerry?)

I have been ramming this album down people’s throats for the past couple of weeks now, and with good reason. ‘Executioner’ , the debut by a young 4-piece from Pittsburg, USA has made for one of the more exciting and thrilling metal albums (labels be damned) it’s been my pleasure to enjoy in a long, long time.

Highly recommended!

Bacteria13.

http://www.myspace.com/manticritual
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool and honest review.. thank you for posting this Ken!
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=126542

Quote:
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based old-school metallers MANTIC RITUAL have parted ways with singer/guitarist and founding member Dan Wetmore.

Commented the band in a statement: "After much consideration, Dan has decided to no longer continue with MANTIC RITUAL. We are greatly appreciative of his tremendous contributions to the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

"For the upcoming tours this fall, our good friend Dave Watson will be filling in as singer/guitarist. We've known Dave for quite some time, and besides being a killer musician, he's an outstanding sound engineer as well (he mixed our 2007 self-released demo, 'Executioner'). We have no doubt that Dave will be a perfect fit for us these next few months, and that the band will continue delivering fist-pumping rock 'n' roll like it's 1955."

Added Dan Wetmore: "It has been hard for me to make this decision as I love Adam, Ben, and Jeff and the music we've made together. I've always been dedicated to the band and truly enjoyed playing and writing material. Still, I've had the desire to focus on photography for quite some time and I don't see myself spending life on the road. It is my personal choice to leave the band and return to school. Despite conflicting feelings, I know currently this is the best decision for me. The outcome is very hard to face, as I've enjoyed the past five years and progress we've made. I'm sure some might think I'm crazy or stupid, but I'll eat that. The guys are dedicated and I'm positive they'll do well with Dave taking my place. All the best to them, they're my pals."

All scheduled shows will take place as planned.

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » MANTIC RITUAL - EXECUTIONER

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: