View topic - VOIVOD - INFINI (2009)

Reply to topic
VOIVOD - INFINI (2009)

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » VOIVOD - INFINI (2009)
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: VOIVOD - INFINI (2009) Reply with quote

VOIVOD - INFINI

(Relapse)

First thing’s first – it does sound like Katorz. Those expecting Nothingface or something different to the previous two albums will be disappointed. As you know, Infini is the second and final batch of songs secretly recorded by Piggy, so there’s no dramatic change in sound or formula. One is tempted to compare this to Metallica’s Re-Load; a double album’s worth of material divided into two single records. And where the band naturally wanted to release all of Piggy’s material, the problem is that Infini could have used some much-needed editing.

It starts off well enough – God Phones bounces along much like Katorz’s The Getaway, all rock n roll with a hint of early punk. From the Cave boasts a sneering vocal performance from Snake, who seems more focused and determined on this album. Earthache and Global Warning are pretty catchy, despite the former blahblahblah chorus which tends to annoy after repetitive listens. And then the double-whammy of two album plodders (downers) A Room With A V.U. and Destroy After Reading ... Perhaps one slowish track, on their own, planted in the middle of the album, breaking the monotony, confirming that though similar this is not a Katorz clone, but two? Suddenly, I’m in the unenviable position of having to review a new Voivod album for vv.net that I’m not gushing over.

Things pick up with Treasure Chase, with an impressive drumming performance from Away. Krap Radio is anything but, and the haunting guitar solo of In Orbit makes up for a rather depressing track. Deathproof picks up the pace again, and it becomes obvious to this listener that on this particular album their faster songs are simply better than the slower ones. Variety? No; just some tracks rock more than others.

So here is my conundrum. The apparently final album from one of my favourite bands that features one of my favourite guitarists isn’t the cracker I was hoping it was going to be. I’ve listened to this album on my way to work, coming home from work, on my laptop, on my stereo and I found myself pressing the forward button more times than I’d like.

That said, it doesn’t take away my respect and love for Piggy and Voivod; with such a extensive catalogue of diverse albums fans enjoy some more than others. It’s just a shame that for this fan, Infini, Piggy’s last, disappoints.

And that kills me …

Bacteria13

Last edited by Bacteria13 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your honest review Ken!
Helldriver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting review... Perhaps it shows how our expectations affect our experiences. Seems like mr. Bacteria liked Katorz a lot and he expected to be fond of Infini as well. I on the other hand didn't like Katorz and I expected Infini to be approximately the same: noisy, monotonous and boring. So I was gladly surprised by how diverse and memorable Infini turned out to be.

The only thing that disappoints me are the lyrics. They are not bad as such, actually I dig some of them for what they are, but I always wished more from Voivod. Voivod lost its sci-fi mystique when Snake started singing about worldly matters instead of otherworldly.

All in all I like Infini and I'm sure I will keep on listening to it in the future. Volcano!!!
derekjoebrockett
Helldriver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reviews here! i just ordered my copy. as my friend put it, we don't have a choice. we've been listening to voivod since "condemned to the gallows"
Warrior of Ice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest it is and that's good.

Imo this album sounds better that Katorz, dirtier/sleazier and heavier. I liked Katorz at the start also, but after some time did get a bit boring to me. Infini is the last Voivod album with Piggy and with knowing how it was made, I'm very happy with the result. Time will show if it's a classic for me.

How older I get (duh Confused) how more I prefer the old ones again. Especialy live they do it much more for me.

Thanks Piggy and thanks to all the other Voivodians for those great albums they did give us Exclamation
Helldriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

review thread needs more Morpheus
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting Infini review:

http://rayvanhornjr.blogspot.com/2009/07/cd-review-voivod-infini.html
Helldriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...Newsted's methodic and personable bass (criminally bleached over many times by his former comrades)...

though i always particularly loved the sound/production of Justice, this is truth

good read
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infini has a 7 review from Blabbermouth, and a 8.2 user rating.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=1743
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » VOIVOD - INFINI (2009)

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: