View topic - Favorite VOIVOD album?

Reply to topic
Favorite VOIVOD album?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
voivod.net Forum Index » Your Voivod Favorites » Favorite VOIVOD album?
« View next topic »
snapped fingers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outer Limits
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Robert Fleurke

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothingface...even after the classic Dimension Hatross it was another step forward, what a masterpiece! Angelrat was ok but somehow disappointing after Nothingface...

Voivod remains my all-time favorite band
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
coneyis

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite album is hard to pick but my top 3 favorites in no particular order are:

Killing Technology
Dimension Hatros
Nothingface

Would love to see a return this era by them!!! Rock on...
boMb

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jorge:
I want to gather some opinions here about Phobos. How would you rate it against Negatron?
Is it worth buying?

Phobos is 'better' than Negatron, in my opinion... 'Better' meaning that it has more in common with 'Nothingface' and 'Hatross' than just the all-out crushing heaviness of 'Negatron'. 'Negatron' is very heavy, very direct, loud and brutal... 'Phobos' has more depth, dynamics, with lots of spaced-out parts and really trippy sections. It does get as heavy as 'Negatron' but also as 'cerebral' as 'Nothingface'. It's my favorite Voivod lp, and I wish I could say that about a Voivod lp containing Snake or Blacky... I've been a fan since 'Killing...' but there it is; 'Phobos'my fave. Definately buy it!!!!
boMb

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who doesn't have Phobos...anyone who's been ignoring the post-snake era...anyone who was turned off by negatron...GET PHOBOS NOW!!! It is Voivod's Masterpiece. It contains elements from every previous album, and integrates them all with mind-blowing results. This is the album they've been wotrking toward since 'Killing Technology'. You simply don't know the whole Voivod story until you've heard Phobos. A work of absolute (and criminally under-rated) genius.
Lorelei

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO:

1. Killing Technology
2. Angel Rat
3. War & Pain
4. Roooaaarrr
5. Dimension Hatross
6. The Outer Limits
7. Nothingface
etc.
Serpent

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are the best in any order.

aeuk

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Quasar:
I would have to say the "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatross",and "Nothingface" Trilogy is quintessential Voivod, kinda like the Star Wars Trilogy. This period represents the heart of Voivod. This is when they were given a decent recording contract and started to refine their sci-fi metal sound and before Blacky left and the band started to fall apart personally. All the other albums are great too, but this is definitely the most important period of Voivod history in my opinion.

Yep, the doctor Q said it above. That's just so true. Out of the trilogy, I would perhaps choose Nothingface as the best ever (or let's say so far ) Voivod album, if I had to choose something. My first ever Voivod song was "War and pain" - heard it on the first Speed Kills compilation album, and it was already a point of no return.

I personally couldnt get into Angel Rat at all, back when it came out. I was too heavily into death metal / grindcore things back then. Only recently I have started to listen AR and noticed that it is actually quite good one in it's surprising way. Outer Limits is much more enjoyable for me personally though.

When it comes to Negatron and Phobos - in my case ... somehow I got into Negatron right away when it came. It was perhaps cause I wasnt expecting such a thrashy album from Voivod etc. At the same time Metallica was evolving into something I didnt like at all, perhaps that affected me (too) in Negatron's case, heh. Negatron is far from perfect album overall, but there's some really gripping moments. It surely is not a bad album at all, though - perhaps bit disappointing as it's not so "strange" (or deep) album than most Voivod albums are - but it shows that Voivod could create really heavy, gripping thrash metal in Voivod's unique style. In some ways, it was interesting twist'n'turn after totally different Outer Limits, so ... it was surprising album too, in a way? Phobos then, funnily - somehow I didnt like it at first, I felt I never really get into it ... but now as listening Phobos, it feels like a really good album. The atmosphere is great there; creepy, heavy, desperate, dimensional music. Different kind of album.

[This message has been edited by aeuk (edited May 12, 2002).]
Quantum

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite voivod album is nothingface although is so difficult to choose an lbum because all of them are so different and so perfect
MorGothic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIVOD EVERYWHERE VOIVOD ANYWHERE
VOIVOD FOREVER !!!!! I love all Voivod's
albums.From War'nPain to Kronik and other
stuff like this.From industrial hard-core
to psychodelic hard-core.Pink Floyd...King Crimson...
It's the greatest bands.It's no difference
for me between aggressssive Killing Technology and cosmic,psychodelic Nothingface
Morbid

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimension hatross!
sievetronix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimention hatross
mos definetly!!!!!

Kane Too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimension Hatross and Nothingface
hexonxonx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothingface. Period.

I also consider it the best album of 80s with no close runner-ups.

All other Voivod albums (and yes, including Angel Rat) are excellent pieces of Music, but Nothingface is a masterpiece. Won't reiterate the reasons Yuri gave - 100% true, but still there's something more than that, there's some sort of magic in this music that makes you listen to it time and time again.

I actually don't like WAP too much, but it's OK for the first try. All other I like each one more than the others at times, with maybe Dimension Hatross being in that position more often.
steelrat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are all very good.
they were and are since 84 my favorite band
i grew up with voivod and possessed.

but the alltime favorite, WAR AND PAIN.
back then i didnīt even know what a cd was(ha ha) 84ī.

please put one song, the old style, on your new album.

the steelrat

Page 9 of 13 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Your Voivod Favorites » Favorite VOIVOD album? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: