View topic - Favorite VOIVOD album?

Reply to topic
Favorite VOIVOD album?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
voivod.net Forum Index » Your Voivod Favorites » Favorite VOIVOD album?
« View next topic »
nothingface
Helldriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! While Venom may have had an influence on the band, covers of their songs have no place in Voivod. One of the things I enjoy most about Voivod is the fact that they refrained from the cliche' psuedo-evil that most bands embraced as 'cool'.

I know they've played many covers over the years, especially in the early days, but to include one on an album is another thing. I'd rather hear another of their own songs.

This brings me to an interesting question; "Which is worse: a Venom cover, or a marginal B-side penned by an ex-Metallican?"

Not trying to introduce negativity to the board, just asking for some opinions and expressing my own.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've waited over 10 years to find others who feel the same way about Voivod. For so long I thought I was the only one who 'got it'. Voivod was right after all..."We're not alone".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Skulhed
Helldriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite Voivod record uh? tough question.
I like em all for several, specific reasons, here goes:

War & Pain: first Voivod record i owned. I like the brutality of the whole thing, and for its Venom-ous vibe.

RRRoooaaarrr: For the complete "fuck off, we thrash" attitude of it. Sloppy greatness!

Killing Technology: probably my fave of the "brutal" voivod era.

Dimension Hatross: masterpiece. nuff said.

Nothingface: As much as i loved the record in 89/90, i cant bring myself to listen to it now. Too "dry" sounding for my tastes, and i always hated the mix (guitar not loud enough)

Angel Rat: I could write a whole book about how i love that record. It's a very personal thing, as if the record was alive. The most emotional Voivod album, ever. and my personal favorite on several counts.

The Outer Limits: Two words "Jack Luminous". Though it sounds like they were trying too hard to get mainstream exposure with this one. "Fix My Heart"? Come on!

Negatron: Crushing!! Totally brutal, and the best sounding Voivod record ever! Instant fave of mine (for the Eric era).

Phobos: Not bad, not my fave, but not bad.

Kronik: completely useless. I hate it.

Voivod Lives: didnt buy it, yet.

Forthcoming album: if the two songs i heard (live) so far are any indication of the new album, it's gonna rule! "Contradiction" is awesome!

- The Skul

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
wampa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimension hatros,the best.
SubEffect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking a favorite is always tough, but I usually go by what is left in my CD player the longest, AND the disc I seem to grab the most after not listening to any Voivod for a while..

And, the winner is: Nothingface. I think this was such a well-produced and awesome-sounding CD, it's hard to put any others above it. Lyrically, it's just insane.. I know the lyrics to NFace more than any other Vod album. The recording is perfect and each instrument has perfect clarity, and I especially LOVE the musicianship on this album. I listened to it earlier today and paid close attention to the drumming style and bass.. so many tempo changes, crazy beats.. I love it! Plus, this was one of the first full DDD CDs i had at the time, and still remains one of the best sounding CD even at super high volume levels (you know what I'm talking about if you've cranked some of the more recent ones.. they end up sounding like a rush of noise at times).

I think the guys went all-out for NFace, honestly.

My second pick would be Angel Rat, believe it or not.. Something about the effects and overall bizarre sound of this one really stand out.. it's so strange.

Christofer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to all my memories around it and for being the perfect mixture of the energy Slayer had on Reign in blood (and never manage to find again), but 10 times more aggressive and pure musical insanity, I must say KILLING TECHNOLOGY bloody rules!!! "Forgotten in space" alone is so damn awesome!!!

I think both PHOBOS (the best album released during the 90's) and DIMENSION HATROSS are 99,9999999999% as good albums though (and the rest aren't far behind either).

VOIVOD for president!
icheherntion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty tough question. But I think my top five are:
Outer Limits
Dimension Hatröss
Angel Rat
Killing Technology
War & Pain

I really can't tell which one of these is my favorite.
tim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say that my favorite voi-vod song has to be "clouds in my house" off the "angel rat" disc. just the thoughts and imiges and the way the guitars voice its confusion in the solo just kicks me in the face, man.
Yamon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an old fart on the Voivod scene, I'd just like to let you know that I love all of their albums.

If I was truely forced to choose one album alone then it would have to be KILLING TECHNOLOGY.

Cruncy, fast, driving, arkward and sinister.
Blue Nine

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Not another "Best" question! Why, why do you torture us like this, Yuri? Not dissing you, just hating the way those kind of questions make me cudgle my vodka-soaked gray matter to try and come up with some sort of intelligable response. Wait, is it "intelligAble" or "intelligIble"? Aw, crap...
Anyway, the obvious, desperate to get off the hook, everyone else thinks so, my "I've heard everything, I can play anything" bass teacher heard it and nearly fell off his stool in utter shock answer is Nothingface.
It's the sound of genius unleashed - damn the consequences! Full steam ahead!
The problem is that, for me, at least, Nothingface, and Hatross as well, for that matter, sounds better being played through my headphones than through my stereo. Nothingface and Hatross are dark, cold and claustraphobic albums. To hell with the spacey effects and gentle vocal harmonies, listen to Piggy's ominous, frightening riff off "Psychic Vaccuum" (The one where the band was shown in photo negative for the video) or the vertigo inducing "Astronomy Domine". Through a good stereo they sound awesome, but through headphones they connect on a much more personal level.
Headphone albums are good, my collection is full of them, but if you're looking for number one, you want an album that sounds fantastic in any medium. Angel Rat comes close, DAMN close, but peters out just shy of one hundred on the percentage point o' meter. Hard to say why, as Angel Rat is one of the first Voivod records I use to lure new fans into the fold. But it just doesn't DO it the way the #1 record from a band such as Voivod should. Maybe it's just too tempered, too seasoned, the band doesn't sound as hungry as they did earlier. Essentially, too relaxed.
The Outer Limits? Not even close. The Outer Limits, despite having some of the band's best moments, just doesn't cut it for me. File that one under "T" for "Trying to go too many places at once". Blacky's presence, or lack thereof, strangely didn't seem to make much difference to me, a sure sign of trouble.
Negatron? Phobos? Negatron is a righteous album, no denying that. They sounded reborn on that record, giving all their doomsayers a great big middle finger salute. But, well, it was a transition record, and nobody's been able to pull off a transition record yet. Rush stumbled on "Fly By Night", Metallica's "And Justice For All" smoked, but they buried their new bassist so far in the mix that he might as well have not shown up for the sessions at all.
As for "Phobos" well, re-read what was said about Hatross and Nothingface and you get the picture. Bloody amazing record, but too subjective for a number one slot.
Their first two records? I don't think so. A few tracks stand out, "Black City", "Nuclear War", "Fuck Off & Die", but, well, compared to their later works, they're primitive, even silly. "If you're a fucker and you know it...fuck off and die!" Um...thanks for calling, Snake. But don't get hysterical on me, I'm just picky. I can't stand Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" and the aforementioned "Fly By Night" only comes out of the closet when I'm so blitzed Geddy Lee's early Mickey Mouse shriek sound appealing. It's tough getting into a great band's early records if you've only got their more current works to use as a reference.
So what's the number one Voivod? Well, having eliminated everything but "Kronik" which I've never heard and can't seem to lay hands on a copy of despite having promised my soul to Satan in exchange, you should see this one coming.
KILLING TECHNOLOGY. Yes, it's not the best produced, most learned, most articulate or thoughtful record Voivod has ever done, it's just the most immediate. Immediacy is that thing that makes records like Nirvana's "In Utero" or Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream" soar while Metallica's "Load" and anything by post-Rust In Piece Megadeth sink into without a trace into mediocrity. Not to say the above records are mediocre in the least, they just don't have the "DO IT NOW" feel of Killing Technology.
Killing Technology sounds fantastic anyway it's played. Good stereo, headphones, even listening to the faint echoes coming out from underneath someone else's headphones when they're playing the album, it ROCKS! The band was growing up and they not only knew it, they were energized by it. As far as I know, the only way to sit still through Killing Technology is to be unconscious when it's being played. The energy, the venom, the growing intelligence, they're all screaming through the band's inspired playing. Voivod were sick of being "just another cartoonish thrash metal band" and lusted for more.
From the freaky computer bleeps which lead into "Killing Technology" to the apocalyptic post-punk of "This Is Not An Excercise", Killing Technology absolutely burns. There isn't a weak track in sight. The whirling, ominous "Tornado", the futuristic precision of "Forgotten In Space", and, of course, one of the band's best tunes, the Motorhead-meets-eats-and-spits-out Rush "Ravenous Medicine" all rage with an intensity and focus that few of their peers ever managed.
And most importantly for a number one, even after a decade and a half, Killing Technology absolutely mops the floor with anything that newcomers like Korn or Tool have ever recorded. In fact, the only other record that has stood the test of time as well as this is Slayer's infamous "Reign In Blood".
Killing Technology was the springboard, the missing sequence, the moment a group of talented, but undisciplined young Quebecois thrashers took aim at the big time...and succeeded brilliantly.
TO THE DEATH!

PS - Apologies for length, brevity was never my strong suit.
nothingface
Helldriver

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of 'promising your soul to Satan', I agree with your views on 'vital' music. There was a real sense of urgency on Killing Technology that's missing on nearly all music recorded today.

Korn? Tool? Hardly relevant, let alone vital.
Blue Nine

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The satan thing twas just a little joke. Besides, it's doubtful that it would make much difference anyway. Finding that record is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles. Never had any luck.
Yeah, but all the people I know who are into the modern metal swear that Korn is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Sorry again for thatr long winded post.
Blue Nine
floootz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that my preferred one (and the best album ever) is DIMENSION HATROSS. It really was the maturation of the 3 previous ones and a kind of achievement in itself. I think that NOTHINGFACE opened a "new" era (different sound, even more progressive "patterns"). It would come second because it's unique in VOIVOD's discography (all are, but this one doesn't really match with any other as do the 1st 4 / Angel + Outer / Negatron + Phobos). WAR AND PAIN ranks 3rd, man it's so harsh...
Jan

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Angel Rat
2. NothingFace
3. Outer Limits
4. Dimension...
/jan
BZZZT!
Helldriver

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their best record? I'd have to say "Dimension Hatross". Despite Piggy's bluesly soloing, the guitar parts are creative while remaining quite abbrasive, the vocals are mixed nice and make use of some really interesting effects, and the drumming STILL boggles me over a decade later. Nice use of the "china" cymbal, too. It's just too bad they had an '80's heavy metal production ethic of burying the bass guitar. Other than that, this record sounds like it's being played by robots. This IS the sound of particle acceleration. At this point in their career, VOIVOD really meant it.

Anyone looking for newer stuff akin to and probably influenced by this record? Then check out bands like THE LOCUST, LIGHTNING BOLT, ZENI GEVA. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by BZZZT! (edited May 21, 2001).]
The Outcast
Helldriver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIMENSION HATRÖSS is THE absolute record by VOïVOD and THE best of all times. It has the power ! So heavy and fast yet so tight... The sound is incredible (though more bass would've been great) and the music is... AMAZING ! Piggy is really a brilliant composer. Hail. NOTHINGFACE comes as close 2nd, it's damn technically good. ANGEL RAT ranks 3rd, along with WAR & PAIN. YES, definitely !
Page 5 of 13 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Your Voivod Favorites » Favorite VOIVOD album? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: